Hey, I made it back! Hope you did too!
Last week, I threw out 109 photos.
This week, I have thrown out at least 1,208 photos.
WHAT’S YOUR TOTAL?
So, the story goes like this. Several months ago I decided to be super smart and forward thinking and upload all the photos from my phone to my pc, you know to back it up. I basically just went into MS Photo Gallery and let it detect my phone and the photos and blindly let it upload. This was a huge mistake!
Oh, it uploaded everything! Photos of weird stuff that had been downloaded to the phone when web surfing and LOTS of duplicates of the photos I did want to keep. Now, I hear you saying, “But those photos are so small! It’s hardly worth it.” However, when that is all you have for the moment you wanted to capture, you keep it. Yeah, the photo will definitely need a caption in the album, but that is just how it is.
So, in an attempt to START the clean up of that foolishness:
- I looked for distinct file extensions – something other than .jpg
~no such luck!
- I looked for something that several of the file names had in common such as a string of numbers or characters ~ in this case I found the number 800 in quite a few, so I searched my My pictures folder for that and found 739 items.
- Then I looked for pictures with a weird blackened mirror spot in them and deleted them:
- then, I sorted all the photos alphabetically so I could try to eliminate duplicates, which only helped in a few cases. For some reason the phone sets some weird file names (x-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-800.jpg) and has several copies (in different formats???) of each photo EACH with different names. This is getting tricky
- Instagram phots are saved as .jpg on the phone as well...I was hoping for a more distinct naming system for them...no such luck.o, then I tried sorting them by date and this helped a little as well.
- I decided to delete them ALL from the computer...all the phone ones with the “800” in them ~ I GAVE UP!
- There is probably software out there you can purchase to help you, but I am cheap.
- I deleted all the duplicates from my phone...they had multiplied on my phone as well! What is going on??
- I downloaded PicCollage and started arranging the photos I decided to keep (450+) into meaningful collages with the thought of printing them.
- I am sharing the collages with myself to put them in my digital archive.
Crazy all you have to do just to find out it wasn’t worth it!
So how do you do it? How do you back up those photos you want to keep? Have you ever had a case of the ever multiplying photos when uploading from an ANDROID? I wonder what apple is like.
Better scoot. The shortest person got into the butter!